Beautiful Tumut Accommodation, With An Impressive History – Try Something Different, You’ll Love It.
efton House (originally spelt Sephton House) is a late Victorian Mansion and Tumuts most renowned and admired historic landmarks. Lovingly renovated to it’s former glory and still retains original features of high ceilings, mantle pieces, picture rails, French doors, large verandas with lace work, intricate and ornate architectural detailing, large rooms and so much more. Boutique Motel Sefton house history is fascinating, please enjoy reading it.
Sefton House was built in harmony with Tumuts gold rush era in the 1890’s by Mr Harry Hoad who stems from the famous Hoad family who are of Yarrangobilly Caves fame, politicians and grandfather of Australian tennis great Lew Hoad.
Through their remarkable mateship and commitment to tennis as players and coaches on the international and local suburban courts, Lew Hoad along with Ken Rosewall, Tony Roche, Margaret Court, John Newcombe, Harry Hopman, Norman Cahill etc created the greatest golden age of Australian tennis 1950’s to 1970’s and layed the foundations for today and beyond.
To this day they are admired and respected for their amazing achievements both on the courts of Australia and as outstanding Australians. They inspired many others to follow in their footsteps, and to this very day their legendary achievements inspire a nation. They all have the hallmark qualities of that Australian never give up spirit and attitude.
Lew Hoad and Ken Rosewall were born in the same month and same year 1934, they played a lot of tennis together and were known as the Golden Twins then as the Sydney twins.
Lew hoads grandfather Mr Harry Hoad was commissioned to build one of his finest works, the magnificent jewel in the crown Sefton House for Nurse Annie Emery’s mother who set up Tumuts First Luxury Private Maternity Hospital.
Mrs Emery looked after some of the finest mums from the local district for many years. Sefton House then became a private residence for quite a while until Mrs Emery’s daughter Nurse Annie Emery re opened Sefton House as Tumuts Luxury Private Maternity Hospital. Today as you talk and meet with some of Tumuts finest and most successful residents who were born at Sefton House, their sense of pride to have been born in such a magnificent mansion and to see it beautifully renovated, is very apparent. Sefton House then converted back to a private residence for two families for many years. Sefton House was then re opened by Sister Harris as Tumuts Luxury Private Maternity Hospital, and she provided a first class facility for many years.
In 1940 Sefton House then became Headquarters for the Italian Officers Prisoners of War who escaped from Italy and were given sanctuary all over rural Australia. Sefton House was home for the many Italians who voluntarily surrendered to the allies and were welcomed and integrated into the Tumut community. Peter Stathis came to Tumut in 1930 to manage and run the Montreal Theatre which is still in operation to this day. After the war in 1948 Peter Stathis purchased Sefton House and moved in with his family, Son George and his family, wife Margaret, and children Dianne,Kerryne and Michael.
During Petres ownership half of Sefton House was rented to the ambulance services. Sefton House then became Tumuts First Ambulance Station and housed the first Ambulance Officer and his family.Claude Wallwork, then Freddie Taylor then Joe Wignall. The grounds of Sefton House were used to park the very expensive Ambulance vehicle and when called upon the Ambulance Officer Mr Wignall would go out and pick up the patients in the Ambulance Vehicle and deliver them up to the Tumut Hospital in Simpson Street. When the new ambulance station was built in 1956 the ambulance officer moved out. Peter owned Sefton House till 1970’s when he sold it to the Tumut Bowling Club which then leased it to a government department which operated Sefton House as mission Australia emplyment agency.